Two years ago, I flip-flopped my dining room and my study. This project snowballed on me and presented some challenges. One issue that came up was the color of my buffet.
It’s painted in a fifty-fifty mix of Annie Sloan’s Old White and Duck Egg. I love this piece of furniture.
But in my study, the room I was making the new dining room and the room where the buffet would be moved, I knew it would blend right in with the Silvermist (Sherwin Williams) walls. Here’s my old study. There is a big roll top desk just out of view.
I considered several solutions.
- I could re-paint the buffet in Annie Sloan’s Old White to make it stand out against the Silvermist walls. I rejected this option right away because I had just painted the buffet a couple of months earlier and I really liked the new color. Besides, the buffet was white before I painted it and going straight back to another version of white felt like a backward move—not that I haven’t done that. A few times.
- I could repaint the Silvermist walls in the soon-to-be new dining room a completely different color, one that would allow the buffet to stand out. I really liked the color, though, and it had only been a short time since I had re-painted.
- Or…I could do something I had never done before. I could paint stripes.
This would allow me to bring the dark gray paint from my living room into the new dining room but would only require me to deal with one wall, the one where the buffet would go.
Since painting stripes was new territory for me, I followed this link for help. Fewer (and bigger) stripes seemed like less work, and that sounded good to me. Math is not my strong suit, so figuring out the width of each stripe was sort of a pain. The bottom stripe turned out a little wider, but that didn’t bother me.
I painted the wall white first. Then I marked my measurements and used a yardstick and a level to keep everything as straight as possible. I was not surprised that my ceiling line was off some. Then I began taping.
I was very disappointed in the Frog tape that I used. I had to touch up about a million spots with an artist’s brush before it was all said and done. My walls are textured, not heavily, but apparently just enough to make the Frog tape a waste of time even though I followed the directions. Regular blue painter’s tape, which I already had, would have been just as good.
For the stripes, I chose to use the same Rockport Gray (Benjamin Moore ) that I had in my living room with a white that I picked on the spur of the moment at Walmart. It’s Marshmallow by Glidden. Less contrasting colors would have probably made all the little dots that seeped under the tape less apparent. If I ever do this again, I will keep that in mind.
Aside from the frustration and time spent fixing my mistakes, this striped wall was fairly easy and very inexpensive. I had plenty of Rockport Gray left over from the living room to use for the darker stripes, so I was only out the cost of the Marshmallow paint. Walmart graciously refunded the $10 I spent on the Frog tape. I took back the rest of the roll (I had used very little) and told them the Frog tape didn’t deliver. My Walmart is really good with returns.
Wide horizontal stripes are definitely a more modern look than I’m used to in my home, but I’m really pleased with the look and the impact they made.